Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Room for 12


“Megan,” I whispered at 7:30am to the bed below me, “I hate Madrid.”
AWHOOOOOGA
“What?” she whispered back, careful not to wake the homeless man beside her.
“I,” I waited for the alarm to sound again.
AWHOOOOOGA
“HATE,”
AWHOOOOOGA
“Madrid,” I finally finished.
AWHOOOOOGA
“Me too,” she responded as we laughed at our lives.

When I reserved our spots in a 12-bed, co-ed room, I imagined it would be a slightly more scandalous version of summer camp.  We could change our clothes in the bathroom and as long as they didn’t mind my risqué pajamas (sweatpants and a t-shirt), we would make a great cabin.  No big deal.

The first night of camp every cabin always makes a Cabin Covenant, addressing anticipated problems that might occur during the week.  Unfortunately, we forgot to make our Cabin Covenant in Madrid.  At camp, a typical Cabin Covenant looks something like this (complete with pink crayon and yellow construction paper):
     :) Have a good attitude
     :) Try everything once
     :) Respect each other
     :) Respect others’ belongings
     :) HAVE FUN!!!

If we had made a Madrid Cabin Covenant, it would have needed to look more like this:
     Alarm clocks must be turned off immediately and definitely not 30 minutes later
     Do not turn the overhead lights on when you come back at 2:00am
     Excuse yourself from the room for all bodily noises
     Shower when you start smelling bad
     Do not hang your underwear all over the room

So a hostel isn’t really like camp.  That, of course, is no reason to hate a city.  Lucky for you, I'll soon be posting about some of our other Spain experiences (including three hours with the policia) so that maybe you'll understand our temporary hatred of Madrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment